CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Lemony French Toast

 


 I love big, heavy, "I need to take a nap after eating this" breakfasts. But, I also enjoy fitting into my clothes, not wheezing when I breathe, and you know...not having diabetes. So, as much as I love them, I don't make big breakfasts that often. Today was one of those days.

I've been on a big bread making kick lately, and yesterday I made a double batch of olive oil bread. I like olive oil bread a lot. It's heavy, but not like a brick heavy, chewy, soft and moist. It's good with just about everything. Recently, my mom gave me a small bottle of lemon-infused olive oil from The Olive Tap. I thought, "hey, wouldn't a lemony olive oil bread be just the greatest thing in the world?" so instead of regular extra virgin olive oil (btw, I refuse to say EVOO. Refuse!)

As just a loaf of bread to have with dinner or a snack (with my homemade butter), it was just so-so. Kind of a let-down, to be honest. I was expecting this full-on lemony bread, but since my recipe only calls for a small amount of olive oil (1/8 cup for 2 lbs of bread), the lemon flavor was pretty subtle. Joey tried it and said it tasted like it couldn't decide if it wanted to be a dessert bread or a dinner bread, which is pretty accurate. Not sweet, not savory. Just...ok.

So this morning, I was dreaming of a big breakfast. Deciding we probably weren't going to eat the rest of the bread by itself, I figured I had nothing to lose by making french toast out of it.

I sliced it pretty thick, used eggs and heavy cream as my batter and fried it butter I made yesterday. There's something very satisfying about making food from scratch. I know pioneer women used to do this every day as a matter of survival, but in my 21st century kitchen, it feels pretty good. (In my dreams, we live in an old farm house with a garden out back and I have some chickens and a cow and a goat. And a duck, because ducks are hilarious.)

The result was much better than I anticipated. The subtle lemon flavor I was lamenting earlier was just enough flavor, and coupled with the french toast-y-ness and some powdered sugar, it was a delicious breakfast. It didn't last very long, though. 3/4 of a loaf of bread was fried up, (photographed) and shared between myself, my husband and my toddler, and all I have left to show for it is an extremely messy kitchen and some fat, happy faces. There are worse things in life, I guess.


 As french toast, I give this an 8/10. As regular-ole bread, it gets a sad 5/10.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails